Job ID: CFO2018
Location: San Diego, California, USA
Based in San Diego, CA, Biological Dynamics, Inc. (BioDyn) is a privately held molecular diagnostics company and a pioneer in the field of Alternating Current Electrokinetics (ACE)-based diagnostics. At BioDyn, we are developing novel diagnostic solutions to screen, diagnose and manage high burden conditions, such as cancer. Our diverse team shares passion for improving patient care, a focus on cutting-edge technology, and a deep commitment to innovation, which shapes the future of our company and drives our innovative culture. To learn more about BioDyn, please visit our website, www.BiologicalDynamics.com, or feel free to view a TEDx Talk given by BioDyn’s Co-founder and CEO, Dr. Raj Krishnan, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMsOYqJ4ShA.
Of immediate need to BioDyn is a full-time Chief Financial Officer to help lead the company through the next phase of its growth and development. The CFO is responsible for defining, leading and managing the financial and accounting policies, systems and processes, tax and regulatory requirements and payroll systems, processes and controls. The incumbent will also be responsible for executive level strategic planning, financial modeling and annual business planning and budgeting. As a member of the Executive team, she/he will provide leadership and direction to the department, company, CEO and Board of Directors.
Strategy & Executive Leadership
- Develop tools and systems to provide financial and operational information to the CEO and make recommendations on both strategy and operations.
- Lead long-term budgetary planning and costs management in alignment with company strategic plans.
- Assume the role of Corporate Secretary for the Board of Directors.
- Participate on the board Finance and Audit committees.
- Participate in identifying and securing external funding and funding sources, participate in fundraising meetings with potential investors.
- Perform financial analysis of proposed collaborations, merger and acquisition and business development deals with external organizations.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Make recommendations and implement accounting/financial ERP systems as necessary.
Financial Planning & Analysis
- Assess organizational performance against both the annual budget, periodic forecast updates and the company’s long-term strategy.
- Establish yearly financial objectives and targets.
- Select and engage outside consultants for the purposes of audit and investment guidance.
- Establish and maintain the organization's accounting principles, practices, and procedures; ensure development and maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
- Hands-on responsibility for day-to-day accounting operations, financial statement preparation and reporting.
- Establish and manage the day-to-day relationship with banks as well as managing existing and future debt and compliance with debt reporting requirements and covenants, if any. Lead discussions with current and potential lenders; make recommendations related to relationships with financial partners.
- Oversee weekly cash management, approve weekly payables and check signing.
- Coordinate audits and proper filing of tax returns.
- Manage the Stock Option Plan in coordination with outside counsel.
- Work with outside brokers to obtain required business insurance and identify new insurance needs and changing levels of coverage for current insurance.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree is required in a business or finance discipline; an advanced degree (e.g., MBA, MS) or certification (e.g., CPA, CFA) is preferred.
- 15 or more years of relevant work experience with a minimum of 10 years in a leadership role, preferred.
- Experience in diagnostics, medical devices or biotechnology industries preferred.
- CFO experience in a public company and or IPO preferred.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, hands-on entrepreneurial environment.
- Effective at planning, organizing, and prioritizing.
- Able to handle multiple tasks and deliver high quality results under tight timelines.
- High attention to detail and accuracy.
- Effective troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible and adaptable to change.
- Adept at building strong relationships and collaborating with colleagues at all levels.
- Highly collaborative, self-motivated, and team-oriented.
- Effective communicator across all levels of the organization, with the Board of Directors and external stakeholders in both oral and written form.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the individual may be required to sit; use hands to touch, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. As well, s/he may occasionally be required to stand and/or move about the office. Specific vision abilities may be required by this job including close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The successful candidate will join a dynamic, innovative team focused on developing cutting edge technologies in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. We offer a positive, diverse and exciting work environment with competitive pay structures and benefits. Biological Dynamics is an equal opportunity employer. To apply for this position please email your cover letter and resume to BioDyn.Hr@BiologicalDynamics.com.