Based in San Diego, CA, Biological Dynamics, Inc. (BioDyn) is a privately held molecular diagnostics Company committed to improving global cancer outcomes by empowering healthcare communities with frequent use, low-cost, accessible cancer diagnostics for labs and point-of-care. At BioDyn, we are developing a suite of novel oncology tests for early cancer detection, treatment response, and recurrence monitoring. The Company’s lab-on-a-chip platform offers a novel way to isolate cell-free nanoparticles and macromolecules directly from whole blood, serum, or plasma. In addition to lab-focused products, the Company is also developing a smartphone-enabled portable version of the platform, which will eventually extend molecular testing into homes. Our diverse team shares passion for improving patient care, a focus on cutting-edge technology, and a deep commitment to innovation, which shapes the future of our Company and drives our innovative culture.
Of immediate need to BioDyn is a full-time Head of Commercial to help lead the Company through the next phase of its growth and commercialization of its technology and products. This position will report directly to the CEO as a member of the Senior Staff and will play an important role as the lead commercial interface to the Board of Directors and external stakeholders and partners, while overseeing internal product management. The Head of Commercial has responsibility for leading our Commercial Operations team who are dedicated to the development and execution of the commercialization strategy for a first-in-class product including market strategy, product definition, launch, market development, marketing, sales, logistics, field support, and driving market share growth and profitability.
• Identifies, evaluates, plans, recommends and executes the approved strategic and financial strategy
of new market opportunities.
• Leads revenue generation and strategic partnership development and management.
• Provides a consolidated commercial perspective into the sales and operations planning process in
collaboration with the Executive Team.
• Develops market overviews, competitive analysis, product launch, marketing plans and sales
• Serves as the key stakeholder in the selection of data vendors, ensuring that the Company is receiving
quality data products.
• Drives pricing strategy and tactics; monitors and reports on market metrics
• Oversees and directs all third-party logistics including supply chain management strategy, selection
and implementation; retail distribution/channel marketing; reimbursement and charge-backs; call
center; marketing promotional materials; and business licenses.
• Establishes the annual sales strategy and leads the strategic commercial planning process; translates
broad corporate strategies into clear, specific objectives and well-supported business plans.
• Integrates and summarizes scientific, clinical and high-level financial and market information to help
to develop the business case and overall assessment of each transaction.
• Identifies and establishes scientific and strategic partnerships and joint ventures. Follows up on all
partnership activities including the tracking, documentation and status reporting of all collaborations
along the business development pipeline which meet strategic objectives.
• Leads business development opportunities, deal identification, proposal generation, and deal
• Leads the creation and maintenance of a "map" of existing products and products in our pipeline,
current initiatives and targeted growth areas and developing a portfolio optimization plan with the CEO
and Executive Team.
• Understands and leverages the Company’s technology and IP to drive business value.
• In collaboration with the senior staff develops the product road map.
• Prepares sales forecasts, while keeping abreast of key projects and accounts.
• Participates in new product development planning and management.
• Spearheads business development initiatives that are consistent with the Company's overall strategy
(i.e. licensing, partnering, collaborations).
• Participates in technology transfer, licensing, partnerships assessment and development, while
increasing market penetration and overall profitability.
• Develops unique and sustainable brand equity for the Company in segments that may include Life
Science Tools, Consumer and Lab Diagnostics.
• Leads the analysis of incentive compensation and maintains and reports incentive compensation
• Cultivates a high-performing team through the creation of a practical vision, specific goals and
concrete metrics to achieve success in terms of revenue and access, meeting changing business
demands and delivering consistent, results in challenging environments.
• Identifies staffing needs, recruits, hires, and retains high performing employees
• Develops and mentors team members to support individual and team success.
• B.S. degree in life sciences or related, MBA and higher education desired.
• At least 15 years management experience in commercial operations in diagnostics, biotechnology
and/or medical device/pharma setting including:
o Minimum of five eight years' experience leading a commercial operations team including sales,
marketing, market analysis, market access and logistics;
o Demonstrated experience with product launch and ability to drive market penetration;
o Experience in commercialization of a first-in-class product;
o In-depth experience of the diagnostics development process and the regulatory, reimbursement and
o Experience gathering market intelligence information;
o Experience creating and growing businesses in both fast-moving, new and mature markets;
o Experience building high performing teams across multiple geographies and cultures;
o Skilled at developing and executing sales incentive and sales compensation plans that drive
o Strong understanding and experience in key commercial processes of portfolio and life cycle
management, CRM, sales forecasting, budgeting and P/L management; and,
o Experience in IVD (molecular) in oncology and genomics preferred.
• Thorough understanding of the processes of business development in Pharma/Biotech, due
diligence, and portfolio management combined with a scientific and business acumen.
• A solid understanding of the Company's market and products and a strong reputation with and access
to Key Opinion Leaders in targeted segments.
• Strong entrepreneurial perspective and ability to define and deliver market opportunities.
• Ability to simplify complex ideas/concepts, synthesize and summarize a complex set of facts and set
opportunities within the broader strategic context.
• Executive level leader with experience presenting strategic and operational plans to the Board of
Directors, investors and other stakeholders.
• Strategic thinker who possesses both a solid business acumen and the ability to look beyond the
Company and our external competitive and business environment.